Hugs and Happiness

Happy to interact with you - I enjoy dialogues, challenging my thoughts or just sharing my thoughts.

Friday, January 17, 2014

What is empowerment?


Is empowerment a method? Is it something that will apply only sometimes or not apply on kids all the time? Is is that we empower some time and not all time?
Pondering:
If I am helping a child is it not empowerment?
If i am not responding to child,
is it not empowerment?
If I am not making child think and helping,
is it not empowerment?
If I am upset with child, am
I not empowering?
If I am setting up consequence for the child with the child.
am I not empowering?
If I am not acknowledging I am not empowering?
If i am not trusting the child, am
I not empowering?
If I am not following the child, am
I not empowering?
If i am not allowing child to take decision, am
I not empowering?
If i am refusing to listen to child, am
I not empowering
If I am not acknowledging the child, am
I not empowering
Well, we do all the above at Aarohi and yet empower the child :-)

Many times I decide to not to respond the child and I inform the child why – what way
am I empowering the child?
At times I ask the child to do the task and then reflect – I do the thinking for the child –
is this another way of empowerment?
When I am upset with the child, I do express and I express in many ways  - the empowerment also means knowing other's needs and my role in that.

For me empowerment is not a set rule, it does not have a rigid definition. It is not static. Like river empowerment is dynamic, it is fluid, it changes its form in many ways, in many places.

Then what is empowerment?

No comments: