Hugs and Happiness

Happy to interact with you - I enjoy dialogues, challenging my thoughts or just sharing my thoughts.

Friday, July 12, 2013

TV and Parenting conflict



Parenting and TV – I was also not away from this conflict in my life.

My daughter never showed extra interest in TV – I thought I was blessed and continue t o live without TV for few years.
My son showed extra interest in TV and I thought I have to play the role of parent and look into the issue J

Good news!!! My son and the conflict with TV brought a new learning material at home.

TV came inside the house with all his persistence and consistent behaviour. 
My daughter started showing the sing of interest in youtube movies and TV serials on the net..

It began with negotiations – only weekends, only one hour a day, only two hours a day and no it is unlimited…..

The journey has been beautiful.

His persistence to watch TV increased with my increased resistance to huge amount of time spent on TV.
My daughters love for movies and TV serial grew with my growing rejection for the same.
Conflict continued – we all accepted each other for what we think and feel!!!

One fine day, I decided to look into their world – they continued to talk and talk about every little show they watch, discussion on movie will continue to go on for hours with all kinds of detailed descriptions…………this led to my curiosity in the subject matter of TV and Movies.

I kept ME aside and
I started listening more to their detailed descriptions
I started taking more interest in what they shared “then what happened?”
I started arranging movies for them
I started going to watch movies with them in theatre
I started finding time so they could watch more TV and the same movie multiple times.

And EUREKA!!! I have started understanding “what is in TV and MOVIES”.

Through TV and movies
They talk about fun
They talk about life
They talk about dreams
They talk about people and relationship
They look at life not only TV and Movies.

I have no more conflicts – I see a SPACE for TV and MOVIES in my children’s life and love it.

No comments: