Hugs and Happiness

Happy to interact with you - I enjoy dialogues, challenging my thoughts or just sharing my thoughts.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Is this empowerment

Is this empowerment?

On Saturday I went through a small dental surgery. The team of doctors had briefed me what all does this involves, gave me all the information I needed.
On the day of Surgery doc asked me “did you loose your sleep?”
I sad, “no”
Another doc asked “are you nervous”, I said, I am not, my daughter is (Asa expressed, I am feeling scared for you).
During the surgery doc kept on briefing me what he is doing, clicked my pictures for his documentation, showed me pictures when I asked for it (it was ghory).

At times I was smiling, I was crying (foot foot kar), I was dancing on the chair with pain………………..He insisted “keep breathing”, he explained why? He insisted me to keep my eyes open, he explained me why ………..Whatever he wanted to me to do, he explained……………..at times he was firm with me and asking me to check “is it really pain, or nervousness or just a sensation?”.

It was 1-1/2 hrs process – not a single time he denied my feelings, or pain. He continued with his process, acknowledging what I am going thru, sometimes stopped and made me realized to connect with myself. He did not do any extra bit to comfort me ………………rather kept on informing with the situation at every step.

There was no putting down, no comparison, no expectations………………I enjoyed every moment with all my pain,

When I connected with my self I realized “I was nervous, I was even shocked with the whole process”.   He allowed me to express. He listened. He also continued with his work with faith in my capabilities to be able to bear all this.

Back home I was still shocked with the whole process, (Now, I lost my sleep to remember that whole process and the feeling of stitches in my mouth) I was concerned for the future healing of stitches etc – kids first were concerned and silent seeing my swollen face, and Rat cracked a joke “mummy has 3 choices to eat – Ice cream and Ice cream and ice-cream (all know how much  hate ice-cream after my accident). After this kids were fine, speaking in detail what all happened, saw my pictures (laughing as well as ghory opened gums)  - They talked, expressed and just be with me.

Is this empowerment? Doctor did not do anything extra to make me feel empowered, but the whole process was empowering “I was in my control”.

I was just thinking that because I am aware of all these things – did I feel empowered?

  • I have faith in the doctor and was and is ready for anything to go wrong.
  • I was listening to him and connecting with his intentions rather than finding faults at him or expecting him to give me painless surgery?
Does it makes sense how does the receiver takes the empowerment?
And when I am working with kids or trainees – does it makes senses what all are aware about being empowered?

If the receiver makes images – does my empowerment works?
If the receiver takes push as absence of help – does my empowerment works?
If the receiver wants sympathies – will my empowerment work?

Is empowerment is something in my hand?
Is empowerment is something I can make someone feel?
Is empowerment also means to be able to understand other and accept others the way they are?
…………………………………loads of thoughts in my QUEST to find what is empowerment and what is MY ROLE?

2 comments:

Prakash Gudnavar said...

I think "yes" is answer to all these questions.
I think, every one wants to empower and loves/expects to be empowered. Ways of empowerment vary depending people, time, methods. What matters is how "synchronous" is the interaction between the persons involved (the one empowering, and the one being empowered). And achieving synchronisation, I think, is function of acceptance, stand in the matter etc. Person empowering can have ruthless stand in the matter and empower OR the person being empowered can pull the empowerment towards him/her. Hmm! Hope I am making some sense.

Aarohi, Open Learning Community said...

Liked the thought of "synchronous".