Hugs and Happiness

Happy to interact with you - I enjoy dialogues, challenging my thoughts or just sharing my thoughts.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Doubting is good news


This summer I explored with Dhup doing some of the workbooks of maths.  I have stopped doing this with Asawari as I saw no use of it to add to her learning journey.

With Dhup I again I tried………..After few days it looked so futile to do those activities without any purpose or exploring those concepts. He was just doing 2-3 digit addition for the sake of doing…………. We have come back to real life learning……exploring ………………life is back to learning.  

I keep doing these experiments every summer/ holidays with my kids - so take it lightly :)

Once again I saw no use of just doing some workbooks to confirm that my child is …………..For me workbooks are tools, to be used as and when require by the child, situation……………not be used to confirm that the child knows this much or equivalent to…………….or capable of………..

I used to get goose bumps when I used to see some of the maths books of 10th std…………….I used to doubt “oops will Asawari be able to do this?

Any time when I sit with her and she explores it take minutes for her to get that concept ………. Asa explored volume, after we needed to calculate for water sump in O-campus and she did by herself with workbooks and various exercises. After a visit to O-campus with water experts, she wanted to explore the structure of the earth and today she knows more that me.

After reading this post  - do not go and check her knowledge about earth, she hates checking. She will only share her knowledge with you as and when she will feel SAFE with you.

I have observed people asking and checking out of their curiosity to check Aarohi and its methodology with her and  she will confirm that she doesn’t not know. Or will say “I do not know”.

At O-campus and at home - in the last one month - both the kids - all they have done is being with me, roaming around, at home watching TV, doing new activities ... and just ABSORBING. 

I am happy I have Ratnesh around me – a man with deep insights. He is little shrewd, little silent, little adamant, little blunt …………..when it comes to learning.  I have never seen him doubting any child or any adult for their capabilities.

I read this “We are like the ancient astronomers and actively seek out only that information that confirms our beliefs and theories about ourselves and the world." ……..hmmmmmm 

I am happy that I keep oscillating. When I explore conventional learning and try to get convinced I get new insight, this allows me to look at the child and the leaning in different perspective. 

 Every time I doubt……..I learn.........doubts are good news for me :)

1 comment:

komala said...

As a mother I too do this now and then , and sooner or later maithili shows me how she decides what to learn and when to learn and how to drive her learning. yes, i have stopped doubting their capabilities to learn, time and again when I see maithili teaching herself how to cycle in a day , hula hoop continuously non-stop literally non-stop ...I keep wondering , who is teaching whom !
It is our fear that our children may fall back that makes us doubt , now i look at it as even that will be their learning !!