Hugs and Happiness

Happy to interact with you - I enjoy dialogues, challenging my thoughts or just sharing my thoughts.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Post of a teacher

There is something different in the post of a “teacher, a parent, a manager”.

When I am teacher – I can scold, I can scream, I can punish, I teach, I know my subject
When I am a parent – I can scold, I can scream, I can punish, I ensure, I care, I am responsible
When I am a manager - I can scold, I can scream, I can punish, I get the work done

Screaming, punishing, threatening kids is all acceptable behaviour of adults? Is it acceptable behaviour of our children?

This raises a lot of question in me?

You and me as parent scream at our kids, we punish our children. If I smoke as an adult no issue but if a child tell a lie, we beat him up in the name of responsible behaviour and future.

For me it is not about a teacher, a parent or a manager – for me this raises the whole issue of RESPECT and RELATIONSHIP.

I was upset with one of the faculty at Geniekids , reason “she did not prepare the session and for me the quality in sessions matters a lot”. One fine day I screamed at her. My justification was justified to me. She raised the issue “do you respect faculty as much as you respect children?”

My reflection told me “no”.
I do not respect everyone
I do distinguish
I behave with kids differently and with adults differently
With kids I give space, with adults I expect “they should do”.

Now, if the session is not ready – I do question faculty, I do demand, but I am not upset (internally) with them.

This approach implies that as a facilitator/ coordinator, all I need is to offer a relationship which facilitates the child/ faculty to realise and work from the his strengths that we have presumed are there in abundance in the child.

What a liberating way to look at our role. Not only it liberates us of all expectations, it exposes the child’s innermost potential. Further this liberation means

· That we don’t need to put any mask (of a teacher). That we can simply be genuine, real or simply be ourselves. And in turn this genuineness leads to multiple advantages.
· This genuineness means that we can accept ourselves, our emotions, our beliefs, our failings, our limitations, etc. This self acceptance in turn makes it automatic for us to accept the child: his intentions, his trials, his mistakes, and most importantly his emotions.

3 comments:

shivani and amable said...

I was upset,screaming/scolding this evening. In mind I felt everything I was saying was justified. My 7yr old stood next to me all the while without saying a word. Then I moved away and sat on the sofa, he came and sat next to me and asked Mamma are you angry with 'me'? I said no, I'm angry with myself. He put one arm around my neck, and held my hand firmly with his other hand and said please come and have your dinner, other wise you will feel hungry at night. His acceptance of me, inspite of my anger and outburst was something that really struck me!!

Trupti said...

kudos to the person who actually raised the issue and asked "do you respect fac as much as kids?"

Aarohi, Open Learning Community said...

Shivani you are one of those who have taken my anger and frustration with a smile like Pranav. So it runs in the family 